Register
    Remember me
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

A Non-Perfect, Non-Free, but Working Email Setup on Newton 4 years 11 months ago #7

• Martin
  • Martin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to share a working email setup (Einstein Compatible).

It is not perfect mind you, because it needs for now 2 different email servers.
Yet people when reply, they do reply correctly, to the email you can read from your Newton, thanks to configuration of the "Reply-To" feature.

I wish I could find one server that works for both, but after a some time trying (a tad bit more hours that I am proud to confess), this is what I got working for now:

It uses NewtonCity.org for incoming emails and Dynonames pop.secureservet.net for outgoing BUT, thanks to the Reply-To feature, when people reply, apparently, they do reply to the NewtonCity.org correctly (if all is configured well, as explained bellow), even if the emails are actually send through the other server (Dynoname's outsmtp.secureservet.net)

Ingredients:

One Time Setup Things:

- Make a Backup (you can just backup the ‘Flash’ file in the Einstein folder if you are using it) (Why? because you need 2 owners at some point, and somehow, it can change your current owner and affect adversely registered programs, if you cannot maintain your original Owner name card as the first one).

- Simple Mail (I could not make it work with Mail V)
- Two Owners setups…. One for Incoming email setup, and another for outgoing. (more about it later)

- An Newtoncity.org Marisa provided email. Thanks Marisa!!
- An Dynonames, paid, web hosting mail… (not the best part, not free, but it works) (please if you now any free solution that actually provenly works, please let me know to update this option for a free one!)

While in the Inbox drawer, in SimpleMail prefs, in the “Sending” bit of the Page button:

- Always cc: to your sending email (Why? Sent mails are not stored on the Sent Folder of any Server, so this is the only way for you to keep a copy).

- In the SimpleMail Basic Page, I have the first 4 options checked ok.
- “Send Now” is suggested if you have a permanent connection to the internet.
- I checked “Browse Mail” while connecting, in case a Too big email comes.
- After Sending I chose “Log in Unfiled Items” to save space, but feel free to put what you fancy.

Since all works, but still experimental, I rather go for the "Sort By Status” to make sure everything went in the Inbox Prefs (not the SimpleMail prefs).

In The Owner App:

- One for Sending: I use my main Name + the word “email” for the sending owner.
Here you configure The Dynoname’s outsmtp.secureserver.net
Not only add your regular domain email from Dynames, also add another email, (Just Email option on Add), regarding your NewtonCity.org email.
(Important: You won’t see this entry, but it's ok, it is done, you can see it with the “Show More” option in a button).

- One for Receiving: I use my regular owner card, the one with just my name for the name.
Here you configure newtoncity.org details for retrieving email. (but I checked IMAP, not POP I believe).

On the Dynonames Web email option:

- In Settings > Personal Settings > Identities > I added my <herePutYourUserName>@newtoncity.org email as a new Identity.
Where you put your own username instead of the "<herePutYourUserName>" bit.

Sending:

If all went ok, select email, and make sure you select Name+Email owner, and select your @newtoncity.org email, if you wish people to be able to respond in a way you can read their reply in your Newton.

Receiving:

Go to Inbox, select you Regular Owner (without the “email”) to read your email from your @newtoncity.org email.

Voila!

I hope this helps someone!
Any comments appreciated!

Tips: After receiving email, SimpleMail remains connected. Web you press the Star button on the top to disconnect, be patient, for it to start disconnecting (it was not a good Idea to play with other buttons while this started to happen). But if a couple of seconds pass, and there is no disconnect, you can consider a reboot. Suggest having it configured in the “R” in your dashboard (it takes less than 15 seconds for a reboot, but this might vary depending on the host).

If you have a better setup than this one, please share!

Thanks a million!

Martin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.055 seconds